Carpathian Narrow Gauge Railways Network

Vyhoda Narrow Gauge Railway
(‘Carpatskyi tramvai’ (‘Carpathian tram’)



It is the oldest and shortest of the existing narrow gauge railways in Ukraine, as well as the only one narrow gauge railway not owned by the state. It became a tourist attraction from summer 2003. The ‘Carpathian tram’ services also include the guide services. The tram has the stations, during which tourists are offered to taste the mineral water directly from a buvette, Carpathian tea, ‘medovucha’ (mead alcohol drink) and sandwiches, as well as to buy souvenirs. During the summer period the moving trade is proposed for tourists (barbecues, mushroom soup, ‘chvoinka’ (needles alcohol drink) and ‘medovucha’). You can order a variety of celebrations (weddings, anniversaries, memorable dates) with an interesting adventure program. The route of the narrow gauge railway runs from the village Vyhoda to Senechiv Village through the Mizunka river valley, then cross the old bridge over the river Svicha. The Hydrological natural landmark of national importance Shyrkovets wetland, ‘Naftusia’ mineral water spring and the clearest in the Carpathians mountain spring Dziurkach, waterfalls of the Mizunka River, the chapel in Solotvyno Forestry in the place of the first salt mines of the early XI century, old production premises and forester’s huts (‘Mendunok’ stop) from early logging activities are presented along the route of the narrow gauge railway. The journey on the train can be combined with the several daily hiking trails to the peaks Menchul (1450 m), Iaiko-Ilemske (1679 m), through the national liberation movements to the Vyshkiv pass (930 m) and Lysa mountain - the place of the former heathen sanctuary, to the peaks Magura, Shchawna, as well as to the Sobol forestry.


There are several options for the journey: standard 4-hour route and mountain 8-hour route (Vyhoda – Shyrkovets – Staryi Mizun and Novyi Mizun – Dubovyi Kut – Solotvyno – Mendunok – Sobol – Mahura tract). Going back, you can visit the ornithological reserve in the Dziurkach tract.

Borzhava Narrow Gauge Railway 



Other names: narrow gauge railway Vynogradovo - Khmilnyk - Irshava; popularly called also ‘Antsia Kushnytska’.


Build in 1904 – 1907 while the Western Ukraine was within the Austria-Hungarian Empire. Currently, it is a part of the Lviv railway. The main railway branch runs along the river Borzhava, thus the railway got its name. In the upper reaches of the river the track divides into the several branches that lead to the distant mountain logging.
Nowadays the tracks Vynohradiv – Khmilnyk – Irshava and also Berehovo – Khmilnyk operate. The railway is used for the freight and passengers transportation. The passenger carriages consist of a locomotive and several carriages. Small stations were erected in all villages, through which the railway runs. Today regular passenger services are provided between the cities of Vinogradovo and Irshava. Sightseeing weekend tours can be arranged in two ways: departure according to the train schedule Irshava - Khmilnyk (excursion on the station Khmilnyk, continuing movement according to the schedule of the passenger train Khmilnyk - Vynogradiv (excursion on the station Vynohradiv), ordering a special train Irshava - Khmilnyk - Beregovo or in the opposite direction (excursion on the station Khmilnyk).

Kolochava Narrow Gauge Railway



The only one museum of the railway history in the Transcarpathia.


The museum consists of a rare locomotive and the echelon of 10 wagons. Each wagon reproduces the transportation process in different historical periods - 3 Czech passenger carriages, one Soviet freight, Hungarian wagon for transportation of cattle, wagons for transportation of timber. The unique exhibits telling the history of narrow gauge railways in Transcarpathia, work and life of railway workers, life of passengers were places in the museum. The main pride of the museum - a unique steam locomotive – produced in Germany in 1951. Till 1973 it operated within the Borzhava railway, than stored in the locomotive depot in the village Khmilnyk. The rail lines and metal constructions of wagons were gathered from different railways in Transcarpathia. Guests are offered a ride on the narrow-gauge railway, drive in the car on the track with length of 800 meters. The museum also has an acting mechanical railcar.

 

Museum address:
Village of Kolochava, Mizhhirya district, Transcarpathian region, 26 Druzhba St.
Tel. +38 (03146) 24325
The museum is open daily from 9.00 to 18.00.
Ticket price – 15 UAH for adults, 5UAH for children.

Mocanita Steam Train
(Viseu de Sus, Romania)



Operates from 1932 in 25 km from the border with Ukraine (70 km from the checkpoint in Sighetu-Marmatiei). Two trains between the stations Visheu de Sus and Paltin runs daily including the program for the whole day for 80-100 tourists.


Since 2000, regular steam trains for tourists have been running in the Vaser Valley. The trains operate from spring to autumn. Steam trains run as far as Paltin station, approximately two hours from Viseu de Sus. In Paltin there is a stop of 1-2 hours before the trains return to Viseu de Sus. For train passengers a catering service is available at Paltin. It is also possible to take a short walk into the Carpathian forest, to visit an observation platform from where visitors can get a view over the Vaser Valley.


Mocanita offers special trains with great local flavor: Hotel Train „Carpatia-Express”. The train is positioned next to the CFF railway station in Viseu de Sus. The train consists of a steam locomotive built in Romania, two sleeping cars and a dining car of the former East German Railway. There are 20 sleeper compartments, each with two beds, with a total space for 40 guests. Only 50 meters separate the guests from the morning steam train into the Vaser Valley. The "Carpatia-Express" is located within the fenced and guarded compound which also includes the CFF railway station. Free car parking is available. The dining car of the "Carpatia-Express" is also open for guests without accommodation in the hotel train.


The memorial locomotive. At the front of the "Carpatia-Express" can be found a historic steam locomotive built at the Romanian factory in Resita. It is a later development of the German "2-10-0 standard freight locomotive" Class 150 of the former "German State Railway" (Deutsche Reichsbahn). After the end of World War II the Resita Factory built 282 locomotives for the Romanian State Railway (CFR). This engine is therefore not just an impressive jewel in the hotel train crown; Resita 150.216 is also a piece of European railway history!